Garuda carrying Lakshminarayana
The image shows a beautifully carved sculptural relief depicting Vishnu’s vehicle Garuda carrying Lakshminarayana, a form of Vishnu shown with his consort Lakshmi. It is mounted on the outer wall surrounding the southern garbagriha of the Somanathapura Keshava Temple located 24 miles east of Mysore in Karnataka, India.
Vishnu’s vehicle Garuda is a mythical eagle-like bird. As you can see from the image, Garuda has a human-like body with a bird-like face. Elegantly dressed garuda is wearing fine jewelry all over his body and an intricately carved mukuta (crown) on his head. He is carrying a smaller version of Lakshminarayana with his left hand.
– Garuda Stamba in front of Belur Chennakeshava Temple
– Vishnu’s vehicle Garuda carved on the eves of Cave -3 of rock-cut cave temples of Badami
Garuda Carrying Vishnu – A sculpture standing in the Taman Ayun Temple complex in Bali, Indonesia
– Somanathapura Keshava Temple – A Masterpiece of Hoysala Temple Art
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Bracket Figures
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Navaranga
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Garbhagriha Outer Wall
Copyright © 2019 by Lawrence Rodrigues. All rights reserved.