Hampi Virupaksha Temple
The shows a view of the Virupaksha Temple from the Hemkuta hill located in Hampi, Karnataka, India. As you can see from the image, the Virupaksha Temple complex has three gopuras and two courtyards. The tallest tower, known as the Bistappaya gopura, is on the east side and is where the visitors enter the complex. It was last modified on 1510 CE by Krishna Devaraya, the most famous ruler of the Vijayanagara Empire.
The middle tower is known as Raya gopura and was built by Krishna Devaraya at the time his coronation. The third tower, known as Kanakagiri gopura, is slightly north of the other two towers and leads to the southern shores of the Tungabhadra River. The Virupaksha Temple, which is the main temple of the complex, is situated west of Raya gopura and south of Kanakagiri gopura.
The site of the Virupaksha Temple was considered sacred, and the people have been building temples since the 7th century CE at this site. The temple was modified and renovated many times by the rulers of various dynasties that include Chalukya, Hoysala, and Vijayanagara. Krishna Devaraya added a hall, known as Ranga Mantapa, in front of the temple at the time of his coronation in 1510 CE. The ceiling of the Ranga Mantapa has beautiful murals painted during his rule.
Hampi Virupaksha Temple Murals
Copyright © 2019 by Lawrence Rodrigues. All rights reserved.