The standard iconography of Vishnu shows him with four arms, but this relief has four additional arms, indicating that he is Maha Vishnu. In addition to chakra (a disc-like weapon), and gadā (mace), padma, and shanka, Vishnu is holding a bow and rope with his left hands, and a sword (partly broken) and an arrow with his right hands.
– Badami, Cave – 1, Cave – 2, Cave – 3, Cave – 4
– Somanathapura Keshava Temple – A Masterpiece of Hoysala Temple Art
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Bracket Figures
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Navaranga
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Garbhagriha Outer Wall
Copyright © 2019 – 2020 by Lawrence Rodrigues. All rights reserved.