Nātya Sundari (Dancing Beauty) – Lizard chasing a fly in the background
This finely carved shilābālike is dancing accompanied by two musicians at the bottom, one playing a tāla and the other playing a dolu. She is unaware of the presence of a lizard behind her chasing a fly on a fruit (most likely a jack fruit).
This is one of the 38 bracket figures mounted atop a pillar on the exterior wall surrounding the navaranga (front portion) of the Belur Chennakeshava Temple. Each of these figures is attached to an inclined bracket placed just below the eaves of the temple. The base of the sculpture is mounted on the side of a pillar just below its capital.
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Bracket Figures
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Navaranga
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Garbhagriha Exterior
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple Complex
— Kappe Chennigaraya Shrine
– Somanathapura Keshava Temple – A Magnificent Temple Dedicated to Vishnu
Copyright © 2019 – 2020 by Lawrence Rodrigues. All rights reserved.